Malcolm Brickwood, who recently volunteered to take over the organisation of the Chobham Wednesday evening talks, is also heavily involved with the Woking and District Ramblers, and they have organised a number of celebratory towpath walks this summer. I’ll let him tell you more – Ed.
In celebration of the 25th Anniversary of the reopening of the Basingstoke Canal, Woking & District Ramblers have organised a series of walks along the
Basingstoke Canal towpath that are focussed on the upcoming Woking Canal Festival.
On Tuesday 2nd August thru Thursday 11th, six walks will cover 32 miles of towpath from Greywell Tunnel (eastern portal) in the west to the Wey Navigation in the east. The walks on Saturday August 6th and Sunday 7th will both arrive from opposite directions at the Canal Festival site, where all walkers are encouraged to stay on for lunchtime refreshments and see the historic narrowboats plus other attractions. All other walks both start and end at the train stations shown. These walks are open for anyone to join and are free of charge.
Further details, including the precise meeting points at each of the train stations listed below, can be found on the Woking & District Ramblers website. If you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tuesday August 2: Start 10:30 at Hook. End at Winchfield. Total walk distance 9 miles
- Thursday August 4: Start 10:30 at Winchfield. End at Fleet. Total walk distance 10 miles
- Saturday August 6: Start 10:30 at Brookwood. End at Woking Canal Festival. Total walk distance 4 miles
- Sunday August 7: Start 10:30 at Byfleet & New Haw. End at Woking Canal Festival. Total walk distance 5 miles
- Tuesday August 9: Start 10:30 at Fleet. End at Ash Vale. Total walk distance 8 miles
- Thursday August 11: Start 10:30 at Ash Vale. End at Brookwood. Total walk distance 6 miles
Please note that the start times shown are actual walk departure times.