Why not Charter a Cruise for your Family Celebration, Private Party or Club Event in 2017?
A relaxing cruise on our trip boat – the John Pinkerton II – is the perfect way to celebrate with family, friends or work colleagues. Your party of up to 50 guests will have exclusive use of the boat for the approx 2½ hour cruise from Odiham, in the peaceful surroundings of the Basingstoke Canal. Even if you live locally, the countryside and woodland views from the boat give you a totally different perspective, and make for a memorable and imaginative way to enjoy a taste of days gone by. Cruises run from April to October, and you can choose morning, afternoon or evening departures to suit your event. The added bonus is that all trips on the John Pinkerton II benefit The Basingstoke Canal Society, which works to safeguard the Canal for the future.
Make a day of it!
Why not make your half day trip on the canal into a day out by visiting another attraction in the area. Here are some ideas:
STEAM RAILWAY TRIP FROM ALRESFORD (right) Enjoy a steam train trip on the Watercress Line from Alresford in the morning, and a cruise on the John Pinkerton II in the afternoon. For details and bookings 01962 733810.
MILESTONES MUSEUM AT BASINGSTOKE (left) The Milestones living history museum at Basingstoke brings alive the social and economic history of Hampshire over 100 years. Walk through the town’s ‘streets’ with shop window displays showing how merchandise changed from 1850 to 1950. See the large collection of commercial vehicles, industrial and engineering artifacts and the recreation of the Chesil railway station at Winchester. For details and bookings 01256 477766.
ODIHAM (KING JOHN’S) CASTLE (right) It may be possible to arrange for a local guide to meet your party at the canal-side ruin of the early 13th Century Odiham Castle to describe the remains and give a 20 minute talk about its history in the days of King John.
Please ask for more information on these attractions when you charter the John Pinkerton II.
Make the most of your trip
CATERING There is a well stocked licensed bar on board, with light refreshments, tea and coffee. Corkage facilities are available by prior arrangement with the booking manager.
If you would like to use a catering service that will deliver to the boat, we can recommend:
- Chapel Pond Catering, 07818 402763, email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Sample menus include cream teas, ploughman’s lunches and buffet meals. For more details and to order, please see the Chapel Pond order form.
- Grand Catering, 07800 888354, email: email@example.com. For more details and to order, please see their website.
- If you would prefer a fish ’n’ chip supper delivered directly to the boat, either at the beginning or half-way through your cruise, please contact Oliver’s Fish Restaurant at Old Basing, 01256 321018, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- New from June 2017: A curry menu option is now available for charter trips, provided by the Waterwitch pub in Odiham (opposite the Colt Hill Wharf). For details of choices and how to order, please click here.
PLEASE NOTE: Food orders provided by outside suppliers do not include drinks. All beverages, including teas and coffees etc., should be obtained from the bar and paid for separately, or arrangements made to use the corkage facility.
TRADITIONAL JAZZ BAND Add to the party atmosphere of your cruise and enjoy a canal boat shuffle with The Excel Jazzmen. For details and bookings 01252 549037.
PLEASE NOTE: The four band members must be included in the total number of passengers, i.e. the charterer will be allowed a maximum of 46 in their party.
BRING YOUR OWN MUSIC Or you may wish to play your own music: on-board facilities include connection to a sound system for your iPod or mp3 player.
Available Times and 2017 Tariff
Charter cruises are available every day between April and October, apart from pre-published Public Trip Dates.
HI-SEASON July and August
Monday to Friday afternoon £300
Friday evening to Sunday £320
MID-SEASON May, June and September
Monday to Friday afternoon £260
Friday evening to Sunday £280
LOW-SEASON April and October
Monday to Friday afternoon £220
Friday evening to Sunday £240
A discount of 10% is offered for weekday daytime cruises booked by schools and parties of senior citizens or disabled persons.
An approx 3½ hour extended trip can be arranged for an additional £70.
Enquiries and Bookings
How to Book a Charter Cruise
Please note that Charter Cruises cannot currently be booked on-line. We therefore ask you to bear with us and follow this procedure:
- Telephone or email the Booking Team to confirm that the boat is available on the date you want it.
- This date will be reserved for you for a period of 14 days.
- Print a copy of the Charter Booking Form. (Adobe Reader Required).
- Complete the form and Post it to the Booking Manager at the address on the form including 50% of the Charter Fee.
- The balance of payments must be made at least 14 days before the date of the cruise, which can be by cheque or by internet transfer. Payments may also be possible by debit or credit card over the phone, but there will be a small surcharge.
Full Conditions of Hire are available here.
Colt Hill, Odiham, RG29 1AL
The canal at Colt Hill is signposted down London Road at the eastern end of the High Street. Pass the Waterwitch pub and then cross Colt Hill Bridge, then turn right into the car park at the end of the road.
Senior Citizens and Disabled Persons
Please note that access into the boat is by five steps down from the rear deck, with handrails on each side; there is no mechanical lift for wheelchair users. Group organisers must provide able-bodied helpers for those that need looking after, and to lift wheelchair users if necessary.
Alternatively, our sister charity Accessible Boating Association operates purpose-built boats to cater for disabled persons and their carers. For more details see www.accessibleboating.org.uk, or call on 01252 622520.
Except for guide- and medical dogs, we regret that dogs cannot be taken on charter trips.